Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 15, 2011

Meat Group!

(One of the Olsen sisters in the epic Sloppy Joe scene during It Takes Two
No, I'm not about to provide you with a recipe for a microwave burrito (Encino Man) or reminisce about how cute the Olsen sisters were. What I am about to do is supply you with instructions for the fiercest, easiest, most delicious, cunning, laudable dinnertime dish ever: the Sloppy Joe.

Last weekend, I got my hands on a pretty tasty "slider" version at The Six. A little bit more gourmet than any childhood version, these two-biters were made with turkey instead of beef and had fried pickles to add a little crunch and saltiness. Nonetheless, they served as inspiration to create my own version for your noshing pleasure. Trust me, they're delish. The secret: lots of ketchup and moist turkey (no extra lean &*^^%#@)!

The following recipe is adapted from one I followed as a kid. Let's get down and dirty and next time we'll "Wheeze the Juice."

Valerie's Healthier Sloppy Joe's
4 Potato Hamburger Buns
3 Scallions
1 lb. Ground Turkey
1/4 cup Ketchup
1 tsp. Garlic Powder

Finely chop green onions. Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat and add ground turkey and onions, chopping up the meat with a wooden spoon. Fry until brown and then add ketchup and garlic powder. Stir and simmer for only a few more minutes. Heat your buns and Voila! you're done.

If you're up for it serve with my oven-baked fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feed me, please!