Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 10, 2010

Decor Differences

"You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto...Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto... Let's call the whole thing off."

This Louis Armstrong tune is usually what I think to hum when my husband and I go furniture shopping or fantasize about what our "Heaven on Fifth" penthouse would look like if we ever got the opportunity to own one. Oh, and our very own Dorota would help us cook, dress the children, bathe the dogs, water the courtyard plants...

Anyway, back to the point. My husband is mad for mid-century modern decor (think glass walls, skeletal chairs and coffee colored sofas like the ones seen in Mad Men). I, on the other hand, love anything Shabby Chic inspired--distressed white wood floors, crystal chandeliers, weathered antiques and plush floral sofas with sprawled-out Labrador retrievers on them.

As you can now tell, our differing tastes in decorating usually collide. So, when I saw Martha Stewart Living's intriguing online article about its editors' real-life dwellings, I checked out each slide show and fell in love with a Manhattan flat covered in shades of gray. I soon realized that this subdued palate could potentially be the offspring that quiets our ongoing decor battles.

As you will see below, creative director Eric Pike's unisex abode uses French limestone, coffered ceilings and clean-looking antiques to conjure up quietness, grace and elegance, and tosses in just the right amount of minimalistic, masculine touches, like skylights and industrial light fixtures that scream, "Don Draper was here, but he didn't stay too long."












 (All photos from marthastewart.com)

1 comment:

Feed me, please!